Frequently Asked Questions
- What is Extend?Extend enables merchants to sell product protection plans, risk-free, at no cost, and with no development work. Extend matches your eligible products to protection plans from a network of insurers, so you don’t have to! Extend dynamically optimizes and places warranty offers into your store’s checkout flow so the right plans are presented to your customers. Extend handles all claims, turning a negative(damaged product) into a positive through fast processing, convenient touchpoints like live chat and phone support, and an overall outstanding customer experience.
- What are protection plans / extended warranties?Protection plans are a great way for customers to protect themselves from expensive repairs or replacement of their most valued items. Product protection plans, also referred to as extended warranties, extended service plans, or extended service contracts, provide customers with coverage beyond any manufacturer’s warranty. The terms of a warranty can vary depending on the product being protected, but most cover mechanical or electrical failure, and many include protection from accidental damage as well. Protection plans typically last anywhere from 1 to 5 years.
- Why should I offer extended warranties?Protection plans provide peace of mind to customers when they buy the items they value the most, and additional revenue to the merchants that sell them. Extended warranties can actually increase purchase conversion, giving customers the confidence to click the “Buy” button, knowing that they are protected from defects and accidents. And merchants earn additional no-cost, risk-free revenue from every warranty sale. There is even an opportunity for merchants to extend their relationship with the customers after the sale. Let’s say the customer’s item gets damaged, and they file a claim with Extend. Extend will quickly resolve the claim and send the customer back to your store to buy a replacement at full price. You get a happy customer back to record a new sale and possibly buy other items at the same time!
- What does Extend cost?Extend is completely free to merchants! We make integration easy, do all the work to deliver extended warranty offers to your customers, and you get to keep your share of every warranty sale.
- How do merchants make money?You receive a revenue share for every protection plan sold in your store. You collect the full price of the protection plan at the time of sale, and Extend bills you for the cost of the premium plus our service fee.
- How does Extend make money?Extend collects a service fee each time an Extend protection plan is sold. At the time of sale, the merchant collects the full price of the warranty, which includes the premium, Extend’s service fee, and a margin for the merchant. Extend later bills for the premium and service fee, and you keep the margin!
- What's my risk if I offer Extend protection plans?There is no risk for the merchant. Extend and our insurance partners take on the full responsibility for quickly responding to claims and covering any repairs or replacement costs.
- How are protection plans priced?The cost of a protection plan consists of three parts: the insurer’s premium, Extend’s service fee, and the additional margin for the merchant.
- What kind of merchants can use Extend?Any merchant of any size - that’s the beauty of it! Until now, only the largest 1% of merchants have been able to sell protection plans. Now, any merchant can quickly integrate with Extend and start earning money from extended warranties. Extend works with merchants ranging from small online-only shops all the way to enterprise-sized retailers.
- What products do you cover?Extend covers all kinds of products, including electronics, appliances large and small, sports and fitness equipment, auto parts, furniture, jewelry and watches, musical instruments, and much more. Generally, any product that is susceptible to mechanical or electrical failure or accidental damage. Don’t see your product(s) on our list? Ask us!
- Who insures the protection plans?Extend works with a network of top rated insurance companies to underwrite the protection plans we offer. By working with a number of different insurers, we can match your products to the best protection plans, optimized for price, term, and type of service. By tailoring protection plans for your individual products and customers, we ensure that you maximize purchase conversion, revenue, and most importantly, happy customers!
- How can I learn more? I still have questions.Please contact us here - we’d love to hear from you!
- How does Extend work?Extend helps merchants sell product protection plans in your stores in just a few easy steps: First, install one of our eCommerce platform apps (i.e. on Shopify, Magento, BigCommerce, Salesforce Commerce Cloud, etc.) - you don’t have to write any code whatsoever! For customers with custom eCommerce solutions, you can connect via our simple API. Next, Extend automatically imports your product catalog, determines eligibility, and matches your products with the best available protection plans. Extend then places warranty offers into your store, dynamically optimizing price, design, and placement to maximize conversion and revenue. You can customize the look and feel to match your brand. Finally, at purchase, Extend captures the customer and transaction info, registers the warranty contract, and emails the plan details to the customer. Should anything go wrong with the product after purchase, Extend quickly handles all claims and covers any repair or replacement
- How do I get started selling protection plans?Getting started is easy - just install one of our eCommerce platform apps (i.e. on Shopify, Magento, BigCommerce, WooCommerce, Salesforce Commerce Cloud, etc.). Or, if you have a custom eCommerce solution, you can integrate directly via our simple API. From there, we’ll import your product catalog and automatically match your products to the best protection plans. Once that is done, you can start selling!
- How long does it take to integrate Extend?You can connect your store to Extend in just a few minutes using our out-of-the-box eCommerce platform apps, with no code!
- Which eCommerce platforms do you work with?We’re starting with a Shopify app, but will very soon have apps / extensions available for Magento, Salesforce Commerce Cloud, BigCommerce, WooCommerce, and more. If yours isn’t available yet, let us know - we’d love to hear from you!
- Can I use Extend with my custom eCommerce solution?Absolutely! We offer simple, well-documented API for custom integrations. We’ll also be happy to help you through the integration process. Contact us to get started!
- Can I sell Extend protection plans in a physical store?Yes, we have a couple of options available for merchants who’d like to sell protection plans in a physical store. Please contact us for more information.
- How does my customer buy a protection plan?Your customer will see offers to buy Extend protection plans right inside your online store, with placements ranging from the product page to the shopping cart. The customer simply chooses the length of the protection plan and pays for it as part of your normal checkout flow. Through Extend, you can customize the look and feel of the offer to match your brand, and Extend will dynamically optimize the price, placement, and offer details to maximize conversion and revenue.
- What happens when someone buys a protection plan?As soon as a customer buys a protection plan from your store, Extend sends the customer an email with all the information they need - summary of what’s protected, a link to the complete contract terms, and details about how to file a claim with Extend. Customers can always go to Extend’s customer portal to see and manage all of their Extend warranties, or to file or track claims.
- How do you handle claims?Filing a claim with Extend is easy! Customers can reach out to us however is most convenient – by chat, phone, or submitting a simple claim form online. Most claims are resolved in minutes, and in most cases we'll send the customer back to your store to purchase a replacement item so you get another sale and another chance to interact with a great customer. If the item’s protection plan calls for repair, we’ll quickly schedule with the customer for a repair appointment at the customer’s home or at a service center.